The New Moon Ritual to Set You Free
The New Moon, Self Aware Self Love,Forgive Yourself to Free Yourself
A New Moon is a time of initiation and new beginnings. It is the time to plant a seed of what you want to grow in your life. Making a wish, an intention, a promise, or a vow is a common custom. It is believed that as the moon grows, that your intention or goal will too usually by the time the moon completes its cycle and returns full circle to new again.
Forgiveness is one of the most powerful healing tools we can offer ourselves and the world and is the only way we can let go and transcend a situation. Showing yourself love and compassion is the ultimate spiritual practice and will help you to find your confidence, raise your vibration, and live a more fulfilling life. The benefits of self-love are really endless.
On this New Moon, really make it a point to be extra kind to yourself. Hold yourself close to your heart, and be gentle and loving in what you say and what you think. Even if negative thoughts creep in, try to remind yourself that you are on a journey of learning and growing, and there is no need for you to have a “perfect” life.
Forgiveness is really an important step on our spiritual path, especially the forgiveness of self. Forgiveness allows you to release past pains, resentments, and frustrations that stop them from appearing in your future. Forgiving yourself is really about loving yourself and being that comforting shoulder to rest on that you long for. Where in your life can you forgive yourself? Take the time now to go within and forgive yourself for something that has been troubling or eating away at you. You may be surprised by what you find. Forgiveness is not about justifying a behavior or being in agreement with someone. Forgiveness is about acceptance, and releasing yourself of any negative attachments you may be having towards a situation or person.
This coming New Moon is in Sagittarius, fun, optimistic, radiant visionary. This moon is for honoring your own light within you. The light that seeks truth in everything and will guide you to renew your own faith in yourself. Start by forgiving yourself first. Forgive yourself for anything and everything. Forgive yourself for all that you did or didn’t do. Forgive yourself for what you didn’t know and what you know today. Just forgive.
An easy way to do this is to place your hand over your heart while looking in the mirror. Gaze into your eyes and just say- “I forgive you”. Do this over and over and over until you feel the release.
For a more in-depth spiritual experience, try this Forgiveness Gratitude ritual for the New Moon in December in Sagittarius. This ritual you should focus on ridding your negative thoughts, self-talk, and bad vibes. Anything astral and ancestral is powerful during a Sag New Moon. Meditation and sitting quietly with your higher self will bring you clarity and compassion for forgiveness.
Use crystals, oils, and candle magic during the week of the new moon to harness the energy:
Crystals: Black-banded Agate, Alabaster, Azurite, Chalcedony, Dioptase,
Herkimer Diamond, Labradorite, Lapis lazuli, Obsidian, Fire Opal, Opal, Peridot, Clear Quartz, Smokey Quartz, Rubellite, Ruby, Sapphire, Sodalite, Spectrolite, and Topaz.
Oils: Use Chakra Balancing Oils
Candle: Lilac, mauve, purple, amethyst, violet, indigo, vermilion, and midnight blue.
Herbs: sage, basil, borage, chervil, nutmeg, sage, clove, and saffron.
Forgiveness, Gratitude, Welcoming the New
You will need:
- Cleansing tool of choice
- 2 candles (preferably white)
- 2 pieces of paper
- Chakra Essential Oil of choice.
- Light your candles and place them in a straight line a few inches apart in front of you.
- Now begin smudging your aura and surroundings. Start with your aura first and then move to your surroundings.
- As you cleanse your aura recite the following:
- “I cleanse and release myself of the heavy burdens of the past. I let go of all that prevents me from being me. I release all that has clouded my mind and made my heart heavy. I am now free. I am now free. I am now free to be me.”
- As you cleanse your surroundings, repeat the following mantra:
- “I cleanse my space with light and loving energy. I invite prosperity, calmness, joy, creativity, and abundance into my home. I fill my home with love and laughter. I clear the energy so my home may radiate on the highest of levels. My home is cleansed. My home is cleansed.”
- Sit facing your candles and have your pieces of paper handy. Roll your oils on your wrists, neck and under your nose. Close your eyes and take 10 deep breaths in and out to settle yourself. Next, place your hand over your heart center and breathe here for another 10 breaths. As you do this, see if you can tap into the stillness within your heart.
- Take your pen and one sheet of paper and write down something that you would like to release, forgive or heal within your heart. You can release an attachment to a relationship or person, you can release a negative self-talk narrative you have, you can release attachment to a painful story, you can release all the things you need to forgive yourself for, you can release an old belief that is blocking you from love. Just go with whatever feels most important for where you are right now. There is no right or wrong, so just do whatever you feel you want to release.
- Once you have written down what you would like to release, fold up the piece of paper and hold it in your hands.
- Take a deep breath and then blow onto the paper like you are releasing whatever you wrote down through your breath. Keep blowing into the paper until you feel that you have released it all. This may take up to 20 breaths.
- Once you feel a release, place the folded paper in front of the candle on the left. Now, take your next sheet of paper and write down one thing you are going to do for yourself to help open and connect with your heart.
- You can write down a self-love practice, a reminder to invite joy into your life, a goal, a mantra- anything you wish.
- If you are unsure of what to write, place your hand over your heart, close your eyes and imagine you are having a conversation with your heart. Ask your heart what it needs from you, ask your heart for guidance. You may just be surprised what answer you hear back.
- Once you have your answer written on the second piece of paper, fold it up and blow into it again. This time instead of imagining you are releasing something, imagine you are blowing your wish into the heavens. You don’t need to blow repeatedly here, one strong breath is enough- just make it count!
- Place that folded piece of paper in front of the candle on the right. Now, gently place both of your hands over each piece of paper. Your left hand should be over the “release” paper and the right hand should be over the “intention” paper.
- With your hands resting over each piece of paper, recite the following mantra:
- “Out with the old and in with the new. I release the past so I can be new. I release the past so my heart can open. I release the attachments that hold me back. I release and let go so I can be on track. I welcome in the new. I welcome in my heart. My heart now opens and this is my fresh new start.”
- Take the paper in your left hand and scrunch or rip it up as a symbol that you have released it. You can discard this paper in the recycling. Take the paper in your right hand and leave it in between both candles overnight. Please be sure to snuff out your candles before going to bed.
- In the morning, take the piece of paper and either leave it somewhere you can remind yourself of your intention, or bury it in the ground like you are planting the seed of intention.
Blessings and Self Love for this New Moon!
- Tara Obrien